It all looked so good last night. We'd booked to Auckland a full 24 hours early, to make sure we had a bit of spare time in case a flight was delayed, and to see some relatives in Auckland.
But the flight wasn't delayed, it was cancelled! We had got to the airport early, checked in, and looked out the window at light fog. The fog got thicker, the departure time came and went, and an hour later the flight was not just delayed but cancelled. No seats available Nelson to Auckland until 2 days out. No seats Nelson to Wellington, nor ex Blenheim. Just 5 seats remaining on the last flight from Christchurch so I grabbed 2 before they disappeared, at an exorbitant price, but no doubt cheaper than changing our international flights and hotel booking.
![]() |
| Fog bank! |
We'd missed the last bus Nelson to Christchurch, and there were no rental cars left in Nelson that we could use to get to Christchurch. Sorted out that we could drive down in our car with my sister, who would stay with a friend overnight then she would return with our car the next day. So that's what we did. An unexpected but pleasant enough 5-hour drive to Christchurch, where we now sit in the terminal waiting patiently for our flight.
Not really the start we wanted, but as long as it all works out, we'll be happy.
